Friday, March 15, 2013

International Women’s Day and Trust Falls


            As some of you know last Friday, March 8th, was International Women’s Day.  As such last week and this many Peace Corps Volunteers across Morocco and the world hosted events to honor the women of their town or to highlight women’s issues in their country of service.  I had decided to focus intermediate English class this week on discussions of a couple of important, successful, modern Moroccan woman, but I was happily surprised when my mudir told me that he was also, independently planning an International Women’s Day event, one that my Dar Chebab holds annually!  The event was a party just for the women and girls of our town, the only men allowed in were me, my mudir, a local teacher who made a speech about the rights of women in Morocco, and a couple of young boys whose mothers couldn’t leave them at home.  The party was a potluck, each woman bringing some treat she’d made at home, and aside from a couple short speeches about women’s rights, women’s role in Islam (from a female Islamic History teacher), and an extemporaneous speech demanded out of the confused American—I took the opportunity to thank the women of my town for being so kind and giving—the party was really just a chance for these women to relax, enjoy themselves, and know that people in town, their children, relatives, and friends, appreciate them.  I always enjoy watching successful events, planned and run entirely by Moroccans, and this might have been my favorite thus far.

            My own class for Women’s day was a bit of a mixed bag.  One of my counterparts from the C.L.I.M.B. project, a local French teacher who has quite good English, made a presentation in Arabic to my intermediate students (mainly girls) about four contemporary, successful Moroccan women; women who challenged and defeated their traditional roles in society.  As a class we discussed what qualities these women have and what they needed for success, using the discussion as an opportunity for the students to expand their English vocabularies.  Interestingly, while some students did correctly identify important qualities in the women, others just gave rote lists of the traditional qualities of good women, many of which, such as humility and obedience, these women had to ignore to succeed.  When asked what the women had needed to succeed, my students promptly listed off money, encouragement, and help, things that these women were actually remarkable for having done without.  My counterpart and I on the fly adjusted the rest of the lesson to focus on the women’s determination to succeed, and how that had helped them get on without money, encouragement, and help.  While I think some of the students learned from this, others remained skeptical.  Again, I blame my students inability to make observations about a story and draw inferences from them on an education system focused on rote learning and repetition.

            Outside of International Women’s Day, the days since my last post seem to focus around the issue of trust in Morocco.  Most explicitly this came out at the C.L.I.M.B. meeting on Sunday, where we worked on team building exercises, particularly a blindfolded maze (where students had to trust teammates directions) and trust falls.  My first surprise was how new our students found these games.  By this age most Americans are bored of trust falls they’ve done so many, but to the students they were a new, exciting, and sometimes terrifying prospect.  As always these students impressed me with their willingness to jump into a new game and their quick learning.  At first many students couldn’t do a fall without taking a balancing step, but by the end of the session all of them but one were willingly to stand in the middle of the group and fall back and forth, trusting in the others.  Although we had a few spills no one was hurt, usually because their partners were always willing to fall with them and take them gently to the floor.

            While the C.L.I.M.B. class was a nice, contained example of growing trust among a group of students it was not the only trust exercise in the last week.  On International Women’s Day a couple of young girls asked if they could read a little in the Dar Chebab library, something no young student has asked before, so I happily opened it up and let them in.  This, of course, was a reverse Pandora’s box and the library soon found itself full of screaming boys who had no interest in reading and just wanted to look at the pictures in our Arabic and English picture books.  While I was running between the party, the library, and another group of students there was a local volunteer sitting in the library with the kids, but since he had only a vague notion of all a librarian’s roles he spent a lot of time neatening up the stacks, which allowed a bunch of the worst boys to slip away with half of our Arabic picture books, which I know they’ll never read or return.  It was a pretty devastating moment; our first day of an open library was an abject failure.

            In the week since then, however, I’ve talked a lot with the local volunteer about what his role is in the library when I can’t be there to play librarian, and I’ve talked a lot with local kids about how to behave in a library, and though I still don’t trust it to be open if I’m not at least in the Dar Chebab to poke my head in from time to time, I’m now confident that the volunteer and a few older students can maintain quiet and lack of theft while I teach my classes.  There are even a couple of younger boys who’ll sit and read now with the older boys and the girls, and I can trust them to call out their more annoying peers to quiet down and pick up a book.  Well, actually, usually the misbehaving boys just leave, but small strides in the right direction are better than stasis, and we now have a partially functioning, though still unlending, library.

            Joha can also teach us all a lesson about trust, this is one of the stories about his Turkish iteration:

            At one time the cruel and powerful Tamerlane ruled Turkey.  He kept a huge elephant in Joha’s village, and forced the people to take care of it.  Feeding it was expensive, and keeping it clean was not easy.  The villagers decided to send the village leaders to Tamerlane to complain.  They appointed Joha as the spokesperson.
            As the group was about to enter Tamerlane’s palace, Joha looked behind and saw the other had disappeared, leaving him alone to face Tamerlane.  “And what do you want?” asked Tamerlane in a rather unfriendly manner.
            “Oh,” said Joha, “the villagers sent me to say that they are so happy to take care of your elephant, that they would like another one.”

No comments:

Post a Comment