Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Ramadan Report #2 (The beatings will continue until morale improves)


            It’s day nineteen, almost the two-thirds mark.  The end of Ramadan can’t come soon enough; I’m tired of being exhausted and unproductive.  The problem is two-fold.  Firstly, there is the abject lack of Dar Chebab work.  Secondly, the work I tried to do at home (syllabus creation, lesson planning, etc.) didn’t get anywhere because every time I try to work on them I come out with a bad product.  These Ramadan blog posts haven’t been particularly good product either, I’m sure my writing quality’s degradation is more informative about the effects of Ramadan than the things I actually write.  Even language studying isn’t going so well, I find I just can’t focus for long periods of time.  I’ve essentially given up on doing anything this month, other than reading, watching movies, and starving.  I’m glad I signed up to work at another camp immediately after Ramadan.  The intense activity should be just the antidote for my Ramadan lethargy.

            It will also help to remind me why I came to Morocco in the first place.  Without any work, in the midst of a month where most other people aren’t working either, I’ve started to forget my role here.  Rather than seeing potential places for growth, recently I’ve started to focus more on the obstacles in my path.  A few nights ago an incident in the garden really highlighted some of my frustrations with Moroccan culture.  I’d gone to play guitar there in the evening.  As usual, a huge crowd of small children formed around me.  For whatever reason, some of the boys were incredibly boisterous, and put into close quarters they started to push and shove one another.  It was obviously just kids playing, not serious fighting, and it wouldn’t have been problem except the crowd around me was so large and kids kept getting shoved into other kids, who just wanted to listen, and into pedestrians.  I tried to calm them down (both with words and by playing downtempo, relaxing music), but telling young Moroccan boys to behave is never successful, so I moved to another spot with more open space and less people around it, hoping to give the more rambunctious boys a place to run around without bothering people.  Instead the loudest three or four crowded in really close to me and continued to horseplay and shout over the music.  All of the girls, and the majority of the boys, who just wanted to listen, were visibly upset.  I stopped playing in an attempt to engage with them.

            There were a few older children, English speakers, who wanted me to say I was going home, so as to disperse the younger kids, and then meet them in another garden to play for them, but that didn’t seem fair to the younger kids who were behaving.  Instead I tried to enlist these older kids to help me calm down the energetic ones and explain to them that if they wanted to listen they could, but they’d have to sit calmly so that the others could enjoy the music.  Otherwise there was plenty of park for them to run around in.  The older kids just shook their heads sagely and said that kids in our town are crazy and wouldn’t listen.  Loosely translated, nope, we’re not gonna even try and help you.  Now the fighting started to get more serious.  The boys who had just wanted to listen started to push and shove the ones who had been misbehaving in an attempt to make them go away.  The older kids continued to just say, “See, they’re crazy,” and did nothing to try to help me stop them. 

I put the guitar away and told them I was done for the evening, hoping that at least might stop them (the older kids were very crestfallen when I told them I wouldn’t be meeting them in the other park either).  The boys and girls who had just wanted to listen stopped fighting and looked sad, the rambunctious ones kept pushing each other.  I started to walk away and the whole crowd followed me.  One of kid pushed another, who hit a third one who fell into me, so I stopped and tried one last time to tell them to stop pushing each other.  As I was saying this the boy who’d been the biggest problem shoved a girl really hard, she fell and hit her head on the cement, he giggled and ran away.  Luckily she was fine, she didn’t even cry.  I looked at the kid and told him to come over.  He shook his head, grinning.  Just then, an adult who’d been watching walked over, grabbed him, buffeted him upside the head, and let him go, without any attempt to explain to him why his behavior was bad.  I realized he hadn’t come over to me when I called because he thought that I was just going to hit him too.

The older children nodded, full of cultural knowledge.  “You see, the kids are crazy here.  Nothing will calm them down.”
I said that we had to try to explain to them what was wrong with their behavior.  Otherwise they would never learn.  “Maybe that works in America,” they said, “but not here in Morocco.”
“Have you ever tried?”
“No, we know our culture and it just won’t work.  Kids are crazy.”

This story highlights two problems with Moroccan culture.  Firstly, the emphasis on corporal punishment.  I know I’ve complained about this before, and I’m sure I will again, but they don’t seem to get that it just doesn’t work.  They hit the kid, he or she behaves for a minute, but it doesn’t last long.  There is no attempt to explain the problem, to help the kid learn better behavior.  Instead the kid just goes around hearing how he is bad and crazy, and avoiding punishment by running away until his parent or teacher’s anger subsides.  He knows there will be no follow-up punishment once the risk of being hit is over.  Reasonable behavior comes from a fear of punishment, not from an instilled desire to not be bad, and wilts away when the authority figure, like me, refuses to use violence.  It teaches that the only effective authority is violent, a bad lesson for kids who will grow up either to be authority figures or people squaring off against it. 

The second problem is this idea that culture is immutable.  This idea is firmly held here and therefrom arises a justification for laziness when it comes to facing cultural problems.  Kids here complain all the time about living in the Third World, but whenever I try to suggest a behavioral change that will start to move them forward, such as avoiding corporal punishment, or picking up their trash, or (to some reactionary boys) treating women as equals, they complain that my suggestion just isn’t their culture.  At this point I almost always want to say that I’m sorry, but some elements of a culture need to change in order for a country to progress.  It happened in the West, it happened in Japan, it will have to happen here if they want to move out of the Third World.  It doesn’t have to be Westernization, per se, but some traditional values need to change to allow for growth. 

Some of these value changes are starting to come to Morocco.  In larger sites this second problem isn’t nearly as pronounced, but in rural Morocco they’ve still only reached the first step of progress.  They know that they want change, but it hasn’t quite hit them yet that change requires them to, well, you know, change.  Until they came to this realization, and start to change, they will continue to complain about being stuck in the Third World.  The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Or maybe it’s just that Ramadan has everyone antsy, hungry, and irritable, even if they don’t care to admit it.

P.S. I can, and I’m sure someday will, go much further on this subject and into the related subjects of Authority and submission to authority, but it seems to me that such a pretentious and post-modern subject should wait until I have food in my belly, although perhaps I’d have a more convincingly post modern writing style and thought process when half delirious from lack of water…

No comments:

Post a Comment