Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Between Notes


           This will be something unprecedented, a short post.  I have a feeling I’ll have a lot to write about after this weekend, so I’m taking advantage of this rare piece of free time to write about the last few days.

            This weekend was nice and low key.  It was raining, so I spent it mainly inside with my host family.  Since I spent so much time with them, and especially with members of their extended family I haven’t seen in awhile, I could appreciate how much my language has improved in the last few weeks.  When a host aunt asked to talk with me we could actually have a conversation, rather than a scramble to find mutually intelligible phrases.  It felt good and I finally got to get my family to laugh on purpose through Darija (needless to say, they’ve been laughing since day one at statements that weren’t meant to be funny).  One of the neighbor’s daughters came in just after I finished writing in my journal and asked me what I was doing.  I responded, in what I hoped was an internationally sarcastic tone, “Kan-gls,” I sit.  Not really all that funny, but the combination of sarcasm and surprise at my ability to say something correctly put the room in hysterics.  This is a major step forward; my attempts at sarcasm are no longer wasted!

            The other fun part of the weekend was when various family members pulled out their photo albums for me to look at.  My host mother is one of nine siblings.  There is a huge backlog of family photos.  It was fun to get a look at them all, especially to get a chance to see my host siblings growing up and the fantastic shots of one of my host uncles playing goalie on the Moroccan army soccer team.  My weekend largely involved sitting around, talking, eating bread, and looking at photos.  Not much to write about, but actually one of the best weekends here.  I should describe the bread.  It’s called mulwi bsla (some Moroccans say mulawie instead of mulwi, my host family is in mulwi camp, along with the local bakers.  It leads to confusion when talking with people whose host families use the other term).  Mulwi itself is a simple bread, just flour, oil, and water fried together in a pan, but when made as mulwi bsla it’s cooked with onions and various spices to make a delicious kaskrot (tea time) snack.  Up until this weekend I’d only had it from the local bakery, but my host mother and her sisters and sisters-in-law make an even better version.  I’m trying to build up good will so I’ll be let in the kitchen to watch next time.  I do this, conversely, by not helping in the kitchen or doing my own laundry.  My family members get annoyed when I do “women’s” work like that.  I’m coming to understand that, while very different, this is not as offensive as it feels to a modern American.  My host mother is a stay-at-home mom; when I try to help out around the house I’m taking her job.  She doesn’t want me to help because I’m straying into her sphere and taking her work.  It’s really different from how we’re used to thinking as modern Americans, where housework is largely in addition to our real jobs, and therefore shared.

            The other event I want to write about happened Tuesday evening after class.  I was hanging out at the local hipster café with my Moroccan metal friends.  I realize I’ve misrepresented them.  They are in their first year of university, not late high school.  They just all look really young.  Moroccans in general, at least Moroccan youth, tend to look a whole lot younger than they are.  I would assume pretty much all my host siblings are two or three years younger than they are based on how they look, especially the nine year old.  They study a mix of subjects, though the boy I met first is an English major (why his English is so good).  It’s a very different course of study here than in the States, obviously, since it’s a foreign language.  While it does include a comprehensive study of English and American lit (we talked about Chaucer the other day!) it is just as much a linguistics major here.  My LCF was also an English major.  He wrote his senior thesis, in English, on Moroccans’ perception of their native languages, Darija and Amizgh.  I hope he’ll let me read a copy; it sounds fascinating.

            Sorry, I got off topic, but that was something I wanted to mention.  In any case, we were hanging out at the café when one of their friends, who I hadn’t met before, showed up with what they called a Moroccan guitar.  At first glance it just looked like a nylon stringed classical guitar and I couldn’t tell what made it Moroccan.  Then I noticed the extra frets.  Between the 2nd and 3rd fret, the 5th and 6th fret, and the 7th and 8th fret there were small, wooden frets only for the 2nd through 5th strings.  These frets allowed him to play notes not available on a regular guitar, quartertones that aren’t in western scales.  He showed me his favorite scale used in Middle Eastern music.  For those of you interested in theory, it was basically the Phrygian mode but with both the minor and major thirds and instead of a major or minor second it used the quartertone in between them.  It was hauntingly beautiful.  He showed me some chords to comp with it on the other guitar (a regular steel stringed acoustic).  They sounded like flamenco chords.  He also let me play around with his guitar.  It was awesome, but very difficult since sometimes I’d miss and play the quartertone rather than the real note or vice versa.  I actually found it was a little easier for me to play the scale on the regular guitar with a small string bend to raise the pitch of the minor second to the new note, but that’s probably a matter of practice.  It was a really fun jam.  I think I’m just going to start bringing my recorder to the café and hope he shows up again.

            So that was my last week.  I think I’m starting to get more attuned to the more subtle cultural differences between Morocco and the States.  Like the quartertones in the Moroccan scale, these differences, though slight, are cause there to be a huge difference in the overall the impression of the country.  I think this is a big step in my quest to integrate because it will help me understand why things are different.  I should hope it’s obvious why that’s so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment