Friday, April 27, 2012

Arts and Crafts and Music and Food


            This week I went to one of the most surreal jam sessions I’ve ever attended.  Frequent readers may remember that a couple of weeks ago I met a high school aged guitarist at the local hipster café.  Since then I’ve run into him a few times in the café and around the neighborhood and have met the members of his band.  This past Saturday they invited me to sit in on their rehearsal at the Dar Chebab.  I don’t remember if I’ve mentioned it before; our Dar Chebab here has a drum set.  They are a four-piece metal/hard rock band, although unfortunately their regular lead guitarist was sick, so a couple of their guitar playing friends and I rotated in on 2nd guitar and we had a jam session instead of rehearsal.  It was a lot of fun; they are an extremely talented group of kids.  The boy I met first is the singer and rhythm guitarist.  He has fantastic technical chops on the guitar (which means I’m very excited to meet his lead guitarist).  His musical interests seem to tend towards the progressive end of the genre.  I’ll expose him to Porcupine Tree sometime soon.  The bass player can lay down a solid groove, though he was having some trouble with his amp (they use a guitar amp with the bass pumped up for a bass amp, this is a matter of necessity rather than taste, Fes doesn’t seem to have many shops for electric instruments).  The drummer is a great player on both drums and bass.  It’s clear that while he likes metal his musical interests are quite a bit wider.  One of the additional guitar players was a trash metal player; the other was more of a blues and classic rock guy.  It was an interesting mix.  Unfortunately my brain wasn’t with me and I didn’t bring either my recorder or my camera.  I’ll make sure not to repeat the mistake when I go to their next rehearsal.

            For the first hour and a half or so I just listened as the other guitar players rotated in and out.  Since my knowledge of metal is extremely limited I can’t tell you what they played, though it was all very up-tempo and technically complex.  The thrash metal influence was clear.  It’s not anywhere near my favorite music, but they were having a blast and playing well so I had a good time.  After one particular aggressive number my friend decided he’d rest his fingers and handed his guitar over to me.  The bass player and drummer had switched places a few songs before.  The drummer’s bass playing focused around slapping; he clearly wanted to play some funk.  I thought he’d have fun with a dramatic rhythmic change from the metal they’d been playing, so as soon as I had the guitar I started to play the bass line to Herbie Hancock’s “Chameleon.”  If the looks of excitement on his and the bass player (now on drums) faces weren’t enough, the looks of confusion from the more metal focused players made the change worth it.  They all ran with it though, and we had a fun, though strangely guitar feedback inflected, version of “Chameleon.”

            On the next song the thrash metal player handed his guitar off to the classic rock guy.  I let him pick the song.  He started playing “House of the Rising Sun,” which anyone who’s ever played with me knows is one of my favorites.  Apparently the rock classics are classics the world over.  We jammed through a bunch of songs and chord progressions, constantly changing line-ups (I politely declined making them suffer through my drumming, though I was impressed to see that pretty much any of them could double competently on any of the instruments there).  The only song that threw them for a loop was Porcupine Tree’s “Sound of Muzak.”  The time signature in the verse shifts back and forth between 6/8 and 8/8 and the drummer (back on drums) had a little trouble dealing with the change.  No shame in that, it took me longer than I care to admit to be able to play it, and I’d heard the song before.  They liked the tune though, so we decided to jam through repeats of the chorus and a modified version of the verse that stayed in 8/8.  The first boy I met, back on the other guitar, played a wild solo over it.  We played until the Dar Chebab closed, another hour after I picked up the guitar.  It was a lot of fun, even though my fingers burned for days afterwards.  A month of not playing and my callouses are gone!

            Towards the end of the jam session the mudira (director) of the Dar Chebab came in and introduced us to a local teacher who wants to start a formal music program there.  The mudira did not introduce me especially as an American, so I just went through a standard greeting in Darija.  The musicians and I had been speaking an English-Darija patois.  Their English is good enough that my limited Darija can fill any holes in our communication.  He stayed and jammed for a while; in addition to being a math teacher he says he’s a semi-professional flamenco guitarist!  After the jam he and I started to talk.  I introduced myself as a Peace Corps Volunteer.  In a pride inducing moment he said, “I thought you were Moroccan!”  One of the boys asked, “What, do you think we speak in English for fun?”  Guess my accent is getting better.  After the jam I went with the boys and the teacher to watch the soccer game at the local café.  Another volunteer joined and we started to talk with the teacher.  He was very interested in our work and with our take on the cultural similarities and differences between Morocco and America.  It was interesting to see how a Moroccan teacher views the Peace Corps’ Youth Development project.  He believes that the biggest difference between Moroccan and American youth is that American youth are encouraged to chase their aspirations and ambitions from a young age in a way that Moroccans are not.  He thinks a big part of our mission will be to help children search themselves and find their ambition.  I took his number.  Hopefully he and I will be able to work on some music programs at the Dar Chebab before the end of my training, if nothing else.

            The next day I took my second real trip to the Medina.  This time we took a bit of time to see some of the sites, rather than just get lost and explore, though there was a bit of that too.  My roommate from Rabat, one of the girls from my training group, and I met up early and walked into the Medina from the Ville Nuveau (the part of the town built by the French during the Protectorate, it was once a European only area, now it’s the center of any Moroccan city).  We entered in the Mellah (Historically Jewish District), which in Fes is very interesting.  The medieval Muslims and medieval Jews built their parts of the city differently.  The Jews, unlike the Muslims, built balconies out from their houses over the street, which means that their district looks very different, overshadowed by the brightly painted balconies.  We planned to walk through the newer part of the Medina and meet up with some others near the gardens I described in my last post.  My roommate and I were confident that our sense of direction and relative knowledge of where we were going would see us through the maze.  Our friend was confident that we would lead her in a big circle.  Take a guess who was right.  There’s something to be said for feminine intuition, we literally popped out of gate five feet away from the one we went in.  It was not time wasted.  In the process of getting lost we stumbled on a sooq (open air market) where we could have bought delicious looking fruit, lamb head, and “the best coriander in Fes!”




            Following another route (and a few more wrong turns) we met our friends near the Bab Bou Jeloud, one of the old city’s main gates (it’s the gate in the photo in my last post).  We’d heard that some Volunteers working in the Small Business Development sector would be at Café Clock, one of the medina’s most popular tourist cafés, to promote an event called Marche Maroc, a Peace Corps organized crafts fare for Moroccan artisans.  We’d heard correctly, as had a bunch of other trainees, I think I’m not exaggerating when I say about a third of our training class passed through the restaurant in the time we were there.  The food was delicious, the view from the roof incredible, and the Peace Corps volunteers and crafts were fascinating.  I’ll talk more about Marche Maroc later in the post, since we had a chance to visit their real event on Tuesday.



            Across the street from Café Clock is the Medrasa Bou Inania.  Bou Inania was a religious school built in the 1300s.  It has a fully functioning mosque built into it.  It is one of the few mosques in Morocco that lets non-Muslims in.  The inside is stunning.  I’m not even going to try to describe the intricate carving work; the pictures will have to do it for me.  I can only say that in the courtyard, with these carvings surrounding you on all sides, the effect is even more dramatic.  From Bou Inania we wandered down one of the Medina’s main thoroughfares past some live chickens and spice shops.  We turned off onto a side path and exited through one of the Medina’s northern gates and climbed a small hill up to the Merenid Tombs.  These also date from the 1300s.  They are a royal cemetery, long fallen to ruin.  They have a commanding view over the entire old city.  While up there, a jellaba seller came by to peddle his wares.  My roommate and another trainee bought one each, but he didn’t have a color I wanted (I’m a fan of the brown, perhaps because they look the most Obi-Wan Kenobi-ish).  Not that my lack of interest stopped him.  He was seemed fairly convinced that I wanted nothing more in the world than his bright purple robe.  If I had been I would have gotten it for a steal, but both it and the flowery one he offered me seemed very feminine.  I’m glad I didn’t buy.  When we returned to the medina the shopkeepers started to laugh at my roommate; he’d apparently been fobbed off with a woman’s jellaba.  None of us could tell the difference.  I was actually taken with his too, had it been brown I would have gotten it.  He made up for it and got a cool woolen hat, as you’ll see in the photos below.
















            After a little more exploring and a drop into a bookstore our trip was done.  It was good to visit a bookstore; it’s the first I’ve spotted since I got here.  Our LCF explained today that Moroccans don’t normally read for fun (he is an exception).  This jibes with my family.  Other than for schoolwork, I’ve never seen any of my host siblings touch a book.  I’d like to blame this on the overuse of T.V., but I think it might be a very old situation.  There is only one verb, kan-qra, to describe both the actions of reading and studying.  I’ve been thinking a lot about language recently, and on methods of communication.  In Morocco communication is not in a single language.  While Darija is the main language, the average Moroccan can communicate at least conversationally in two other languages, French and Classical Arabic.  Darija is not a written language (though it can be), writing is done in Classical Arabic.  In other words, the written language here is not the language of everyday communication.  Perhaps this is why reading for pleasure is not common.  In addition to these three languages, many Moroccans speak at least one dialect of Amizigh.  There are three or four dialects in country, seemingly depending on who is counting.  In addition, a sizable minority of Moroccans cans also speak English, Spanish, or German.  That’s five languages, or more!  The amazing thing is, people don’t stick to one.  They can, and do, switch from one to the other in the course of a single sentence.  Communication becomes a matter of speaking in the most convenient combination of languages between the two speakers, and the fascinating thing is that it’s not always predictable.  I listen in while our LCF talks to the mudira, sometimes the conversation is in Darija, but just as often they slip into French.  I haven’t heard him do this when he talks with the other LCFs, it just must be the best way to talk with her about the topics they’re discussing.  On the one hand, I’m worried I’ll always be missing something, not being communicative in all these languages.  On the other, it is incredible to watch!

            It was an amazing weekend, but this week has treated me well too (I’ve definitely had more honey than bee stings recently).  In language we’ve moved from our heavy grammar study of last week to a more topical study of vocabulary for various situations, such as bargaining and shopping for food.  More importantly, we’ve had some important training experiences, the most important of which was our trip to March Maroc on Tuesday.  Marche Maroc is a crafts fare that the Small Business Development Volunteers have been hosting for the last few years.  Artisans come from all over the country to a major city for a fair organized by the Peace Corps.  This one, obviously, was in Fes.  Unfortunately, because the program here is moving entirely into Youth Development this Marche Maroc will be one of the last ones.  We went partially to see the fair, but also to get information from the volunteers on ways we can work with artisans in our sites and maybe try to organize similar fairs on at least a regional level (without the funding they’ve had the National fairs will be almost impossible).  One our most interesting contacts was with an RPCV (Returned Peace Corps Volunteer) who finished his service a couple of years ago and is now working with Moroccan artisans on setting up a website for them to sell their products.  It’s still in the formative stages right now, but for more information you can visit www.theanou.com.

            The fair itself was incredible.  It featured traditional arts from all over the country, from weavings and carvings from to desert to daggers from the mountains to jewelry from the plains between the mountains and the coast.  There were also people selling fresh cous cous and argon oil for both cosmetic and gastronomical purposes.  I don’t think I’d ever eaten argon oil before their sample (I just dipped some bread in it, like a nice olive oil), but I immediately bought a bottle as a gift for my host mother upon trying it.  She was very excited when I pulled it out for her; it’s a treat they don’t get to have often.

            Alright, I think that’s almost all for this post.  I will finish by giving the recipe for a noodle dish my host sister taught me and another Joha story.

            The Joha story comes via my roommate in Rabat.  He also likes Joha stories, and told me this one the other day.  I realize I’ve only told stories that paint him as a bit of a bumbler.  He’s actually a really interesting and frighteningly intelligent person, and easily the most passionate warrior against poverty I’ve ever met.  I have all these stories where he makes a language or clothing based mistake only because he puts himself out there more than all the rest of us, and for every hilarious mistake story there are tons of successes.  There more times you put yourself out there the more likely you are to make a mistake, and the more likely you are to learn.  That’s the approach he and I both try to take anyways, though he’s better at it than I am.  Before joining the Peace Corps he worked in Americorps in Kansas City.  Apparently they told this Joha story when they would go to work in soup kitchens.

            One day Joha was invited to a feast.  He had been working all day and he didn’t have a chance to change his clothes before the feast.  As such he was in his working clothes, which were torn and sweaty.  The people at the feast were very rude and ignored the poorly dressed man.  Eventually he went home and changed into his nicest coat.  Then he returned to the feast.  When he came back everyone wanted to talk to him.  He was the life of the party, until he went to the table and started to stuff food into his pockets.  The other guests asked why he was stuffing food into his pockets.
            Joha said, “When I was here earlier in my poor clothes everyone ignored me.  When I came back in this coat everyone talked to me.  I haven’t changed, so it must be the coat you all really like.  Since he is obviously the guest of honor, I thought he should enjoy some of the feast.”



Recipe: 

I’ve been calling this shareia in my posts, but I’ve since discovered that shareia is actually the name for the noodle they normally make it with (a kind of short spaghetti), and they call anything cooked with that noodle shareia.  When I’ve had this sauce with other noodles they call it macaroni.  I haven’t been able to explain to them that I’m asking for the name of the sauce…

I’ve had this particular sauce with several different kinds of noodles now, shareia, shareia chinois (vermicelli), and macaroni, which has been either rotini or shells.  I like it best with rotini, but feel free to play around with it.

The primary ingredient is cilantro.  This confused me for a while; they kept calling it qsabur, which is the word for coriander.  Talking with other trainees, I’m glad I wasn’t alone in my ignorance when I discovered that cilantro is the plant grown from the coriander seed, which is what we call coriander.

All measurements are approximations; they don’t really measure in this kitchen.

Ingredients:

Chopped Cilantro.  A lot.  Have a good solid handful of the plant before cutting it.
2-3 cloves garlic
Olive Oil
2 tablespoons tomato paste
½ teaspoon coriander (what we call coriander)
1 tablespoon powdered ginger
1 tablespoon paprika
Pinch of saffron
Salt and pepper to taste

Blend cilantro with water and olive oil until its smooth (like a pesto, but with cilantro).

Add tomato paste and coriander and mix well.

Put on medium heat, add the rest of the ingredients.

Heat until hot, mix with pasta.

That’s it!

No comments:

Post a Comment