Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Have You Met Ted?


            Last week I travelled to Rabat in order to sit through my midservice medical exam (yes, I’m about half way through, a little more actually).  I’m healthy, and, somehow, have only lost a pound since arriving in country, a surprise since I feel like I look much skinnier.  My theory is that I’d just eaten so much delicious Rabati food I had a temporary weight gain.  This was my first trip to Rabat since last September, and since I’ve spent so much of the time since out in the bled (countryside) it made quite a different impression on me than it ever has before, one that highlights my old theme of the two faces of Moroccan culture, a modernizing society with a strong traditional core.

            In many ways Rabat is completely unlike the other major Moroccan cities.  Marrakech and Fes, while they are still modern cities, feel like they are built around a traditional core.  Casablanca, from what I’ve heard and seen briefly, is a gritty, economic center.  Rabat, on the other hand, feels overwhelmingly European, despite its modern Middle Eastern look (this look is no accident, when movie makers want to film a modern Middle Eastern city like Baghdad or Damascus they usually use Rabat for safety reasons, so our picture of these cities is often actually Rabat).  In Rabat, women will sit in cafes, wear clothes unacceptable anywhere else in the country, and hold hands with men on the street.  In Rabat, foreigners are not unusual, and because of the high concentration of Embassy staffs, Fulbrighters, other students, and expatriates they aren’t exploited as tourists.  In Rabat, it seems like most people speak at least a little English.  In Rabat, some people have a lot of money.

            These last two, the English and the money, are probably what make Rabat feel so different, and two stories from last week really highlight this.  On our first evening in the city a few of us were at a restaurant in the fashionable Agdal district where we met a group of girls who are studying at the university.  We were a group of mixed men and women and they came over to meet us, which in itself is very unusual outside Rabat, where women would never go up to a group with even a single man they didn’t know.  My experience with university students from Fes, Meknes, and Beni Mellal (the closest universities to my site) is that if they aren’t studying English they can’t really actively speak it.  These girls, some journalism majors and another physical therapist, seemed more fluent and comfortable in English then most graduates from Moroccan English programs I’ve met.  Their pronunciation was so good that I even told them my real name, which I usually avoid since most Moroccans mispronounce it as their word for detergent.  Immediately one of them asked, “Haaaaaaave you met Ted?” because apparently How I Met Your Mother is big in the young, hip Rabati community.

            If that wasn’t enough of a different world, the next night the Peace Corps Volunteers in town for medicals were invited to an event out in an even swankier neighborhood (where the Embassy staffers and expatriates live) to mark the launch of a new Moroccan-American NGO called CorpsAfrica.  The idea behind this program, the brainchild of a former Peace Corps Volunteer, is that talented Moroccan youth could have a much larger impact doing Peace Corps work then American Volunteers.  Basically, once it gets off the ground, it would function as a Moroccan Americorps, where volunteers live for one year in a community helping with projects developed between community members and the volunteers.  The centerpiece of this event was when the Minister of Youth and Sports and a representative of Al-Akhawayn University in Ifrane, a private institution modeled on American universities rather than the public universities of colonial French design, signed agreements to support and help the new NGO.  Before and after the signing we rubbed shoulders with various important people: heads of NGOs, ambassadors, a friendly regional Governor (the only person I met there without much English), several important government officials, etc.  I chatted with the Minister of Youth and Sports for a few minutes without knowing who he was, then found out when he went forward to make a speech.  He seems extremely passionate about actually developing Moroccan youth.  Coming from the bled (countryside), the concentration of money and power was disconcerting.  It seems that at first, given the cooperation of Al-Akhawayn, which will recruit among its graduating students and graduates, a lot of the volunteers will come from this wealthier, luckier class of Moroccans, and I think it’ll be a great chance for them to give back to their country and appreciate their luck, much the way Peace Corps works for us fortunate enough to be born Americans.

            The next day, one wild souk bus ride later, I returned to my site with a few of the other volunteers who’d been to medicals so they could both have a break on their way home and participate in a few events with my C.L.I.M.B. students over the weekend.  For the last few weeks these students have been preparing a conference between themselves and a few other clubs at the high school to talk about environmental issues.  These clubs included the school’s environment, women’s, and cinema clubs.  My Moroccan counterparts and I did very little for this project, we had the students think of the volunteer project they wanted to do, helped make sure they had an organized schedule and delegated roles, and went with them to talk with the officials at the Dar Taliba (student’s dorm) to make sure they had space, though the students did the talking.  The students did a tremendously good job and I’m very proud of them.  The conference started with a power point presentation about pollution and recycling by a few of my students and a student from the school’s environment club (ironically one of my intermediate English students).  Although I couldn’t follow the rapid Modern Standard Arabic (MSA) in which they made the presentation I could follow the basics and the pictures they’d found to see that they had a pretty good approach, though perhaps a little too much text per slide and reading of that text.  Next two students did a short play where one, playing a young, educated woman, taught the other, playing an old, illiterate woman, how and why not to litter.  This one they presented in Tamazight, so again I couldn’t follow much, though I did catch some joke (which I still don’t quite get) about their American friend Younis.  Afterwards they had a discussion panel where people could ask questions about the environment and keeping it clean.  Despite a strange, longwinded speech in MSA from one of the high school’s Islamic Education teachers about how keeping the environment clean is important to Islam and therefore they would not act as Europeans and Americans do and destroy the Ozone (yeah, I didn’t get it either), this talkback also went really well.  Overall a great event, put on and run entirely by students.

            The next day we went out on a hike in the region of Oum Rabia.  Frequent readers might remember these waterfalls, the sources of a long river, which I visited back last June with a group of students.  We started at a gorgeous mountain lake and hiked through long valley to eventually reach the falls.  We had planned on afterwards hiking around the mountains which surround the falls, but unfortunately we ran out of time because although some people who live nearby assured my counterparts that it would only take an hour and a half, two hours tops, to reach the falls from the lake it ended up taking something more along the lines of seven hours!  Either we missed something, or, sadly more likely, the people my counterparts talked with knew absolutely nothing about what they were talking about.  Although the day of I was pretty annoyed by this I actually think it ended up being for the best since it gave the students a chance to practice the group problem solving and leadership lessons we’ve been giving them the last few weeks.  As always the students did a great job dealing with the challenges they faced, and if I wasn’t always thrilled that some of them went a little too far afield while exploring for a way through the valley it’ll be easier to teach them the importance of staying a little more with the group than trying to force them to have a bit more of a sense of adventure.


















            Alright I think that’s all for now.  A bit of a rambling post I know, but the last week has been much more of a ramble than a narrative.  I’ll leave you with a Joha story which, if it doesn’t tie everything together, at least should make you laugh.

            Joha came into a café one day looking very happy.  His friends asked him why.
            “The king spoke to me today!” replied the ecstatic Joha.
            “What did he say?” asked his friends.
            “Get out of the way, you idiot.” responded Joha.

No comments:

Post a Comment