Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Differences, Digressions, and Dilemmas


           I’ve got a lot to report on from the last couple of weeks, unfortunately not sharing too much of a theme, other than that I can alliterate the topic headings.  My first interesting point comes from my intermediate class a couple of weeks ago.  I’d given them a class on good citizenship which had been alright but like all my attempts at discussion based classes in site never quite took off.  Students would talk back and forth with me, but I could not get them discussing with each other.  A local friend had sat in on the class, and while we were talking about it afterwards he suggested that I do a similar class based on how to be a good student; maybe that would inspire greater participation.

            To start the class I had the students work together to create a list of attributes of a good student.  They came up with 11, not counting a couple that were essentially repeats.  Most of them were what you’d expect from American students, “participatory, respectful, studious, etc.” though there were a couple of odd ones (humility?), so I decided to have them individually list them in order of importance.  Meanwhile I did the same thing.  Then we discussed what order they’d come up with vs. what I had, and it was extremely revealing.  Unanimously they picked “respectful to the teacher” as the number one attribute of a good student and they were unanimously shocked when I revealed it had come up as my 6th.  They were equally shocked when their almost universally last placed “participate,” was my number one.  No wonder it seems like we’ve been working at cross-purposes for so long, we have been!

            After that we discussed the attributes of a good teacher, and again found a shocking difference.  They feel (maybe “felt” now) that a teacher’s job is to present information to the students, and were surprised and intrigued when I told them that in my view I’ll have failed my job if they don’t learn.  Questions, I had to emphasize, are not a sign of disrespect, implying that I haven’t presented information well, but rather allow me to make sure I do my job well and that they understand.  We’ll see if this actually ends up increasing participation, but it can’t hurt.

            Lastly I had them write down what they want to do with the class for the rest of the school year, and I was shocked to see all but one of them requested that we do more poetry.  I thought they hadn’t liked English poetry and that they thought it was too difficult, so I’d let the class drift away from it; it turns out its their favorite thing we’ve done!  Only a couple requested specific grammar points (which I will address), so the class acted as a nice confirmation that students really do appreciate this break from their normal schooling, even if they do find it challenging.

            Last week a couple of friends from home visited me so I got to play tour guide in Marrakech and Essaouira a little bit.  It was a great trip, and very relaxing, though as it turns out I wish they’d come a week later because, in normal Morocco fashion, my schedule has been terribly upended.  I was supposed to have an English Language Camp in my site over the students’ Spring Break, which starts next week, but once I came back from Marrakech I discovered that the camp had been cancelled.  Although I could justifiably stay and teach my normal classes I’ve noticed that over the breaks students rarely come to the Youth Center (many travel), and so I thought I would serve better working at another camp, which means I’ll have to travel again, coincidentally to a city south of Marrakech.  If I’d known I’d have to travel for camp I’d have tied my friend’s visit to the trip down and avoided back tracking, but such is the way of Peace Corps.  In the same period I also found out that I will be working at an AIDS awareness program in Essaouira during the annual Gnouwa music festival (something I really wanted to do), will be travelling to Rabat for a middle of service check-up, and will possibly have to travel for a meeting with Ministry of Youth and Sport officials in May, so suddenly I went from “not planning to leave site much until July” to “crisscrossing the country,” though I think I’ve worked it out such that in all this I will only miss two meetings of my C.L.I.M.B. project, and I am more than confident in my counterparts ability to run those two sessions without me.

            Speaking of C.L.I.M.B, we had our second hike this past weekend (clunky transition, but what can you do).  Frequent readers may recall the ruins of Zaouia which I visited in December.  This time we took the campers out there, but then continued on to a small village further in the valley, and then returned the long way by circling a mountain.  Somewhat amusingly two other student groups had decided to take hikes out to Zaouia as well, so when we got there the ruins were overloaded with Moroccan students playing drums and soccer.  They all seemed a little confused that we’d want to go further.











            The hike went very well, though unfortunately it was a little less strenuous then I’d thought it would be so it didn’t allow for the same opportunities of group work that the first had.  My counterparts assure me the next will challenge us more.  It was fun to see how much my students have gelled, and, since some brought their hand drums, to see them dance and sing together during our rests.












            So, I’ve discussed differences and digressions, now on to the dilemma, and that is, as always, the limits of shared language I have with students.  There is a group of boys in town with weak English and radical ideas, and I want to talk with them so that they may channel their thoughts into useful ways.  The other night these boys talked with me about their interest and respect for Marx and Mao, whose ideas they largely conflate one with the other.  The conversation ranged and the boys namedropped other famous names, but I don’t think their understanding of these others really improved on their understanding of Marx and Mao.  I understand where they’re coming from, these same ideas enticed millions of disaffected young men in Europe and China over the last century, but I don’t think they really understand the disastrous consequences that followed Marxist and Maoist thinking.  Here, of course, we come full circle to the problem of the different conceptions of a teacher’s role.  They’ve had information presented to them, but haven’t received training in critical thinking to analyze the information.  Left in the ether for them to pick up they, like millions before them, focus only on the pretty ideals of Marxism and Maoism and not on what actually happened, and pretty much is guaranteed to happen, in countries which adopt these ideals.  I’d like to teach them about more positive thinkers and world shakers, but I worry about how I could possibly bend our seven-years olds’ understanding of each other’s language into such heady topics in such a way that I’m not guilty of the same problem of leaving information out in the ether without a context to really analyze it in.  Suggestions are, as always, welcome.

            I think I must leave you all with a Joha joke after all that, if I keep ending on downers like I have for the last few posts no one will want to read anymore!

            One day Joha was riding through the village backward on his donkey.  One of the amused villagers came up to Joha, “You know, Joha, you are facing the wrong way.”
            “No, my friend,” said Joha.  “The donkey is going the wrong way.”

No comments:

Post a Comment