Monday, January 7, 2013

Where the Caravan Camels Roam


            I brought in the New Year by emerging from the desert on camelback.  Needless to say I missed family and friends back home this holiday season, but if I have to miss you all I’m glad I did it in the most awesome way possible.  The way involving a camel.  Actually, they’re massively uncomfortable, but we’ll get to that later.

            The Christmas season started a day or two after my last post when the first of my friends arrived at my site to help decorate and carry the massive amount of veggies we’d be eating for the next week from souk.  Not too much to talk about there, other than a few culinary successes (I had run out of curry powder, but managed to make a pretty passable blend using spices in my kitchen, the ingredients list on an empty jar, and my nose as guides (I’m sure some of my Indian friends are scoffing that I ever use premixed powder)).  Before the other guests arrived we took a hike up a nearby mountain, stopping off at a local friend’s family farm, since Moroccan hikes often involve a tea break.  Up on the mountain we found evidence of wild boar.  For one terrifying moment we were convinced we were done for when we confused the sound of flushed quails for a boar snarl.  If you’ve never heard it before they’re quite loud and terrifying en masse for such small birds.  Once all my guests had arrived we made a valiant attempt at Christmas decorations, complete with a singing Alvin and the Chipmunks tree left by a previous volunteer, blue tinsel, a blow up Santa we’d disconcertingly found in Khenifra, and even some jerry-rigged mistletoe.  It led to a weird juxtaposition between indoors and out.  Inside my house ‘twas the season to by jolly, outside it was just any old day in Morocco.

            Christmas itself went remarkably smoothly, though one of my local friends got to play hero when he dealt with a dangerously clogged toilet.  This Christmas plumbing miracle netted him an invite to a solidly American holiday breakfast of eggs, pancakes, and sweet potato hash browns (sweet and savory), though we had to warn him off the bacon one of my guest’s boyfriends had brought from the States.  The day after Christmas we hosted a Christmas party at the local Dar Chabab.  Precluding most of the religious elements (we just mentioned that it celebrates the birth of the Christian prophet), we explained how Christmas is an important American holiday celebrated by spending time with family, exchanging gifts, and eating special foods.  We caroled a little for the kids, explained Santa Claus and the tree (the singing tree also caroled), and served Christmas cookies (which were a hit) and apple cider (which wasn’t).  After most of the 83 younger kids filed out we sat and chatted with some of the older kids, who we taught the chorus of “Deck the Halls” and in turn heard some songs sung to celebrate the birth of the prophet Mohammed.  Other than the one girl who late in the night asked “Shnu Christmas?” (What is Christmas?), the party went well, and luckily the other students could define it for her.  For me, the happiest moment was when the director of the youth center made a speech for the younger kids about peace, goodwill, and how Americans, Moroccans, and the rest of the world aren’t really that different, proving that he at least understood the true sentiment of the holiday.

            The days between Christmas and New Year’s were long and hard and I kind of wish I’d taken the time off instead of trying to teach since I don’t think my lessons were all that good.  Despite that, the students seemed happy and kept up learning, so it could have been worse.  The day before New Year’s Eve my scattered guests returned (some had stayed and helped with classes) and we all travelled together down to Erfoud, a city at the edge of the Sahara desert.  Meeting up with a host of other volunteers we set out into the desert from the popular starting point of Merzouga. 



Now, without further ado, my impressions of riding a camel.  They’re not particularly high, as I said above camels are not a comfortable form of travel.  The first day I rode a smaller, older camel (who the Moroccans called El-Hajj) with a lot of experience, and with him the ride wasn’t too bad.  After a few minutes my body learned how to roll with his motion—it’s not too far off of the motion used to stay stable on a boat—and since he wasn’t all that fat I didn’t get the famous saddle sores people always complain about.  However, on New Year’s riding out of the desert I rode the largest camel, a young and inexperienced buck we christened Walt (Moroccan name unknown).  Walt was very fat, and I learned all about saddle sores from him.  He also had an inconsistent, rough, and pronounced rhythm, so while I’d ridden gracefully on El-Hajj, Walt made me feel like I was riding a jackhammer.  If I were ever to be in a caravan I’d want El-Hajj, though I guess if I were riding a camel into battle Walt would be the beast of choice.

Since I had my beard and my friend had his djellaba he was "Ali Baba" and I was "Ali Baba without djellaba"













The desert is too stunningly beautiful for words.  “Desolate” doesn’t begin to describe it, “breathtaking” is an understatement, and “expansive” can’t contain the wild expanse of sand.  Even the pictures won’t come close to doing it justice this time; it’s just too otherworldly.





Out at the desert camp we ate tagines, watched the sunset, listened to our guides sing and drum, sang for them in return, gazed at the stars, and traded riddles and jokes late into the night.  That was actually harder than it sounds, none of the guides spoke much English and some of them weren’t fluent in Darija either, their first language was Tamazight and one or two only knew as much Arabic as we do.  One claimed he knew less.  That being said, we still got by.  I’ll share my favorite Moroccan riddle I learned that night.  There are three sisters.  One always eats, one sleeps and will never rise again, the last will travel and never return.  Who are they?  I’ll put the answer at the end of the post.


After I returned home I jumped right back into classes, and I’m glad I did because some students mentioned an interest in organizing the old Dar Chabab library so that we can start lending out books.  After the writing club on Saturday four students and my mudir sat through a lesson of mine on library organization and we started to decide on Dewey decimal numbers for some of the nonfiction collection.  They really seemed to enjoy it and took ownership of the project really quickly, so hopefully this time the library will continue after the volunteer leaves (it has basically been an unused room since the last Youth Development Volunteer left three years ago).  As for the classes themselves this week I felt like I had some real successes.  In the writing club some students finally had the confidence to write and read some longer pieces.  In my advanced class we started to parse the Declaration of Independence.  While we had to proceed quite slowly I was impressed at how well they dealt with it, because the only “edits” I made were to correct for modern spellings.

That’s all for now, Happy New Year to everyone, and remember, if you want an exotic vacation this year I’m always willing and excited to show people around!

The answer to the riddle:

Fire always eats, kindling sleeps and never rises, and smoke travels but will never return.

No comments:

Post a Comment