Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Ghostly Beginning of a Routine


            So it’s been awhile since I last wrote, but there really isn’t all that much to write about.  It’s been cold, very cold in fact.  There is snow on the mountains around my town, though none here yet.  I’m told we don’t get much snow in town, if any.  It mainly stays in the surrounding mountains.  It makes them look much more regal, so I don’t mind, but I wish it wasn’t a mile’s hike to enjoy the snow.  Instead it’s just cold.  The problem with cold here is that unlike New England, which is much colder, there is neither insulation nor central heating, so you can never escape the cold (or in Arabic the menacingly named brrd); in fact my house is colder than the outside during the day, though about the same at night.  One lucky weekend—just before Obama’s reelection—it was warm and sunny and a bunch of us volunteers got together and went kayaking on a mountain lake.  It was awesome and beautiful and discombobulating.  I certainly never expected to kayak in Morocco.

            Other than the weekend of sunny kayaking there has been little to break the dreary, rainy days.  I’ve started teaching regularly, and there are moments of that which I really enjoy.  I have an intermediate class which meets once a week, a beginner class which meets twice, beginners at the artisanal cooperative who meet four times, young beginners who meet just once, and, as of yesterday, an advanced class.  Each of these classes is an hour to an hour and a half, depending on the age and level of the students, though any class is about fifteen minutes shorter than publicized since the majority of students are late.  So far classes have been running smoothly—except for young beginners, which, even though the students are all over ten, feels more like day care with an English focus—sometimes even well.  Occasionally hilariously.  For their first lesson the intermediate students requested a lesson on asking for/giving advice, a topic they’re learning in school.  At the end of class I made a series of scenarios in which they had to advise me.  In one where I had guests coming over but no food in the house all the boys said I should take my friends to a restaurant.  Almost all the girls said I should buy food, and then tell them and they would come over and cook, since obviously as a man I couldn’t be expected to cook for a large group.

            In addition to class time I spend time at the Dar Chebab just hanging out with students, time which I hope to convert into clubs now that the first rocky weeks of making a class schedule that actually works have finished (the surveys I talked about a few posts ago did almost nothing for helping me create reasonable schedules).  I’m hoping to start a chess club, a creative writing club, and a journalism club, as per the interests of my students.  That should leave me with a little time when I might try to either give music theory lessons to the few students with musical instruments (no guitars unfortunately, but the two kids with electric keyboards have good enough technique that if I show them some scales, chord types, and how to venture off the white keys I think my inability to play their instrument shouldn’t matter).  Other possible ways of using that time could be a current events club or a series of life skills and employability classes created by previous volunteers.  It will depend on student interests.  Eventually some local counterparts and I also want to get a hiking club/environmental education club up and running too.  Until the clubs start though this has been a time when I sit, chat with students (pretty much all boys in this unstructured time), teach them card games, and, on the rare warm day, Frisbee.  The other day there was one quite strange moment during this time.  We were playing Egyptian Rat Slap (an American card game) and I noticed a boy cheating.  I called him out on it and he asked if I was Muslim.  Thrown and wary I said no.  He then declared I had no right to make a judgment on him cheating.  Before I could make it a teachable moment I quickly had to defend him from the other boys, who shouted down how obviously rude this was.

            My other failure to make a teachable moment came earlier this week when I came home from a short post morning class hike and found a group of boys beating another boy with sticks just around the corner from my house.  I yelled at them to stop, and ran in to snatch their sticks away, but since now they know I won’t hit them I couldn’t scare them into good behavior and they dodged around me.  This gave the boy they’d been hitting a chance to throw in some punches and kicks of his own, so I found myself ineffectively trying to stop both sides of the fight.  I looked to the surrounding adults for help reining in the kids, but none was forthcoming.  Eventually the crying boy got on his scooter and sped away, so I walked home, ignoring the small rocks the other boys were throwing at me.  As many of you know from my Facebook post about it I was very upset at the time, but thanks to your messages of support and advice for ways I might move forward against bullying and adult indifference I think this event might mark a turning point in my service where I find more of a purpose.  Or it might not; I’ll have to see how receptive the community is to it.

            Since I’d hate to end on a downer I’ll tell you a positive story from yesterday.  I was walking towards the cyber so that I could print a couple of things when I heard the unmistakable sound of a live guitar, a sound I miss here whenever I’m not playing one myself.  I backtracked and found an open door where a couple of boys were playing together.  One was using a guitar body with three strings as a drum, while the other played on an unconventionally tuned guitar with just four strings (but still places for six).  As I got closer I realized this was an intentional modification, someone had also ripped out the original fret board and put in a new one where the frets were spaced inconsistently.  Inconsistently, that is, for Western scales, but not for the Tamazight one, with it’s quartertones and mysterious harmonies.  While not as versatile as the “Moroccan guitar” I’d seen in Fes so many months ago this was another clever way of making it possible to play traditional Moroccan music on a western instrument.  It was essentially a loutra grafted onto a guitar body.  The boys played and sang several popular Tamazight songs for me and voiced an interest in coming to English lessons at the Dar Chabab.  In the future they might help me start up a music club too, so it was a lucky day.  Then I went and had stomach and intestine and cous cous at my host family’s house, and for the first time actually enjoyed the taste of those parts of the cow.  Auspicious, I’d say.

            Auspicious, just like one day when Joha walked into at teashop and sat down beside a friend.
            “How are you?” asked the friend.
            “Well, to tell the truth,” said Joha, “I’m a little thirsty and hungry.  I haven’t been able to drink or eat a thing for the past three days.”
            “My dear Joha,” said the friend, “let me buy you some tea and pastries,” and he ordered some.  “You must have been quite ill,” the friend said.  “What was wrong?”
            “Oh, I wasn’t ill,” said Joha.  “I was broke.”

No comments:

Post a Comment